Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Y2 stepper motor grinding.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Gareth Morgan, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Gareth Morgan

Builder

Been cutting on machine yesterday and this morning, no problems. Light work. Have just tried to manually jog x axis to front left of machine ready to start a new cut. All of a sudden screeching grinding noise from left hand y2 stepper. You could see x axis had been thrown out of square due to right hand Y stepper motor working fine.

unplugged left hand y2 stepper and re squared x axis, reset everything, checked all obvious mechanical connections, nothing loose, nothing jammed. Tried manually jogging machine again, Z & X no problems and Y was okay in small incremental movements, but when you continually try to jog forward same grinding screeching noise and left hand side has locked up and thrown X out of square again.

do I automatically assume that stepper motor is faulty? Surely if it was faulty it would work at all?Machine only couple months old.

apart from swapping suspect left hand Z2 stepper with Z stepper to confirm fault- is there any other diagnosis I can do?

any checks I can run through control?

thanks

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Stepper motor fault is the least likely - you can check by taking it off the machine (and unplug the Y motor) and seeing if it runs. The usual culprits are something working loose - motor coupler grub screws, screws holding nut blocks, or bearing failure/lock collars loose.

Alex.

#2 Alex Chambers, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Alex Chambers likes this.
  4. Gareth Morgan

Builder

Thanks guys, fixed. I stripped down both end of LH Y2 axis, and at motor end there was excess tension in coupling that joins onto stepper motor. When I loosened grub screw it sprang back.

all now appears to be working well, cut last project okay.

many thanks- until next time!

Alex Chambers likes this.