Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

XY Linear build

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by vikingostby, Mar 7, 2023.

1. vikingostby

Builder

Looking to have a company build and install a 60 foot x 24 foot version of a Fabric Graphic fitting wall. File attached is what I have been able to build as a very crude small version.

If anyone has any recommendations, it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. vikingostby

Builder

Forgot to mention, it will be vertically wall mounted.

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Not quite following. The unsupported edge of the fabric in the video is which side? Top, bottom, left, right?

4. vikingostby

Builder

top side. at some point, depending on the width of the fabric, a spacer bar would need to be inserted before floated up to finish height.

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

And the 60' dimension, is that width or height? (The 60' dimension is the one causing the most concern.)

6. vikingostby

Builder

60 foot width. 24 foot Height. Pretty sure this would need to be a linear motor drive type of system vs a screw drive.

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Very nice work on the mock-up. But I don't believe this is going to scale as well as you hope. The largest issue is the unsupported top edge. Across 60 feet, it will easily sag 2 feet in the center. The weight of it sagging will also likely pull the edge seam out of the F-track at the ends. I would suggest rotating your design 90 degrees to the left and using what you're considering the right edge as the top and using that edge to lift the fabric to the ceiling. Not sure if the F-track will have enough grip to hold 24 feet of fabric, that's something you'll need to test out. As far as lifting, closed loop geared servos attached to winch drives to lift the banner at intervals along the length may offer a suitable lift. There's a reason banners are lifted from the top. It takes full advantage of gravity. You'll also need vertical runners at intervals along the wall for the top rail to ride up. Other ideas to consider into would be breaking the graphic into 6 to 10 foot sections. This will make it far more manageable to raise. Breaking the graphic into tiles mounted on 6'x6' moveable frames attached to vertical runners might also be a viable option.

An issue you might look into is if local building officials are going to require you to verify if this design meets the indoor wind loading requirements. It's been quite a few years since I last looked at the building codes but as I recall there was a 10 psf load that had to be accounted for. May not be an issue as this is on a wall but it is probably best to check.

crispin likes this.
  8. vikingostby

Builder

Thank you, Rick for all your input.