Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

X32 DC spindle control

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Matt McG, Sep 28, 2023.

1. Matt McG

Matt McG New
    Builder

I recently decided to upgrade to the X32 from my generic GRBL controller due to what appeared to be missed steps and general communication issues. My previous controller used a 48V input and what I assume was PWM output to control the 500W spindle (controller output gives 48V wether at 1% or 100% drive command). After reading through the X32 documentation, I understand that I cannot control my spindle directly but am having trouble understanding what exactly I need to accomplish this. Most of the external PWM controller/drivers I have found have a potentiometer, forward/reverse switches, start/stop signal which I don't see the necessity for when this is currently what I rely on software to handle . Is there not an external PWM interface that will accept the X32 output signal, 48V from my power supply and convert those to a direct output for my spindle?

Please excuse my ignorance or confusion but it just seems that it shouldn’t be that difficult a task to duplicate what my $30 generic controller can do with the X32. I’ve attached some pics of my generic controller for reference….

Thanks in advance for any help. IMG_2267.jpeg IMG_2268.jpeg IMG_2269.jpeg IMG_2270.jpeg

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

My guess is you will need a DC spindle controller. Here is an example of one that popped up when I googled it: Amazon.com . It appears to accept an external signal.

Here are the specs if someone smarter than me wants to chime in:

Product Description
    Feature:
    1. Can support AC and DC input. Non-existent power supply polarity problems.
    2. ultra-high voltage scope. DC to support 15-160V. Input. Exchange to support 12-110V input.
    3. Large radiator with mounting holes.
    4. ultra-high-power control. You can support 10A current.
    5. Addition to the board inside a PWM speed control, can also support an external PWM signal input speed control, external PWM input requirements: level 3.5-12V VPP, frequency of 1K-10KHZ, particularly in MCH3 spindle speed control.
    6. A wide range of support motor. Basic right into the letter drive of the market all the DC motor speed control. As long as the DC resistance of the motor is greater than 2 ohms DC resistance can. Note in particular that this drive can not be less than the DC resistance of 2 ohm DC motor speed control.
    7. equipped with a fuse protection and better performance.
    8. The power indicator, and more convenient to use.

Applications:
    Driven from 5V to 110V DC motor, DC motor speed control. Such as equipment of DC pumps, fans, engraving machine spindle speed of the DC motor for precise control.

Package
    1pc 12V 24V 48V 110V DC Motor Speed Controller

David the swarfer likes this.
  3. Matt McG

Matt McG New
    Builder

Thanks Craig! This looks like what I need but I’m still novice enough to admit I don’t fully understand all of the specs myself. Any other insight or suggestions from someone that could confirm this will do what I’m needing would be much appreciated.

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Unfortunately I do not know more about the spindle. If it were me, and the CNC x axis gantry could support a little more weight and torque, I would replace the spindle with the more powerful Router11, or a Makita rt0701c. Then it could easily be turned on and off with the X32. You could not control the speed with the gcode, but these are not industrial machines and I have not determined what spindle RPM works with every type of wood species I have. Therefore, I turn the RPMS up and down until it sounds and looks right at the beginning of the job and take notes. I start out in what I consider the "safe" range -- #3-#4 on the dial (17,000 to 22,000 rps). I have found for really old growth oak, If I am using an 8mm endmill at 3000mm/min, I have to be at about #5 or that old oak will bog down the cutter at the speeds I cut.

5. Matt McG

Matt McG New
    Builder

Weight and torque aren’t a problem but I have been avoiding using an actual router because I use my CNC as a “desktop” unit in every sense of the word, it literally sits on my desk behind me in my office…. And I don’t currently work with any materials large enough to justify the additional noise that would be produced by a router. I’m also (personally), extremely against making manual speed changes when everything else is automated nor as I mentioned before am I working on anything that would justify the additional cost of a VFD at this point either.

All that being said, it appears I can use a PWM DC motor controller and just use the X32 output in lieu of the speed adjustment potentiometer they come with. (Link attached to the one I bought)

Meiyya Speed Controller,10-50V 100A 5000W DC Motor Speed Controller PWM Control Switch Governor Amazon.com