Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

X axis not square with the Y axis

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Chris Crabtree, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Chris Crabtree

Builder

Good afternoon all, curious to know if others have ran into this and what they did/steps taken to resolve the issue. My C beams ( I think that is the correct term) are not square with one another i.e. top and bottom beams not square to one another. In addition to this is it causing my X axis to not be square with Y axis. To make matters more complicated the squareness, or lack there of, seems to vary based upon the position router/Z axis. I've went so far as to disassemble my Z and X axis and re-assemble trying to pay specialty attention to everything/as much as I can however with no success. I've not dug into traming my router yet so I don't know if that is the problem, any suggestions on way to tram that have worked for you are very appreciated as I'm very new to the world of CNC. Machine is a 1515 and if additional information will help let me know. I've added a couple of pictures to illustrate what is happening, one represents the C beams not square to one another, the second illustrating X and Y not square with one another.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Either your Z uprights are installed at an angle onto the Y plates (square them up against the Y axis beams as reference) or the corner brackets part of the install holding the X rails against the uprights needs some adjustment to bring that back into square. Always harder to adjust after the fact, easier to build it square as you go along. May need some disassembly to bring it back into alignment - they should be on the same plane, and perfectly perpendicular to your Y axis.

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  3. Chris Crabtree

Builder

I think I'm understanding the comment about the Z uprights, added another picture for reference. These look to square, maybe need a touch of adjustment. Corner brackets I'm presuming you are talking about what I have the red arrow pointing to?

Attached Files:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct - as they allow adjustment - you can have the beams either twisted, or out of alignment.

PS: Don't remember if the video had the tip, but if you still have the little "nubs" underneath the corner brackets, sanding them down greatly improves the fit on the side where they don't fall into the slot too - cannot see from that angle

5. Chris Crabtree

Builder

Thank you, looks like I have some disassembly to do.

6. Chris Crabtree

Builder

Should I be concerned with the gap in the picture? Can't really be seen but it's maybe 1/64 of an inch? I've added the yellow arrow so as to know where the gap is at.

Attached Files:

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Not in the way you are measuring it now, sitting on the table. The eccentric wheels come into play once its on a rail, so get that assembled first, then check

8. Chris Crabtree

Builder

Thank you again.
    Another possibly dumb question, is it possible to tighten the V Wheels too much? Seems like they meet more resistance in one section of the rail than in others.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, if you tighten them too much they will wear grooves into the wheels. Eccentrics are for taking out slack, not tightening. Just turn until the wheel starts to grip.

A little variance along the length is expected, but check that it is not loose anywhere along the way

10. Chris Crabtree

Builder

Thank you again for your reply.
    This is something I just noticed when checking everything again prior to re-assembly, one of my C Beams does not appear to be straight.
    I've attached multiple files to show. On each end you can see the straight edge is flush against the C Beam however as you move out towards the center there is a significant gap on this one an when I checked the second C Beam there is none. Is this an issue?

Attached Files:

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Contact the Partstore at support.openbuilds.com for assistance with that issue, thank you :)