Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Where did the Sphinx Go??

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by gary bergin, Mar 13, 2024.

1. gary bergin

Builder

Hello im new to posting but have been lurking a while and finally decided to build my first cnc router. i have done a cnc converted mini mill and before that cut my teeth on nikoderms dremel cnc with my own twists. Fast foreward a few years and i decided that a cnc router needed to be built and after cruising the builds a while i came across kyo sphinx and then later the different iterations with linear rails(mgn12/15). It looked to me like a solid build so i decided on that as a basis later found chris from blue ox for the plates which it seems he does very well with...so where im going with this is i know at some point openbuilds sold a sphinx kit with plates my question is why they stopped is there a fundamental flaw in the design? Is it outdated or do they believe the lead and ox are superior and the sphinx is obsolete? Anyways its just curiosity the parts are ordered and ive already started the build so i committed thanks in advance -Gary

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Not really, just replaced with the LEAD machine. The LEAD has the bragging rights that is way more customizable because it has no custom cut plates. It's made 100% out of the standard OpenBuilds modular Build system components. Want it a little higher? Cut the uprights a little longer.