Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

What screws are better?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by stuart wallace, Feb 1, 2020.

1. stuart wallace

Builder

I was about to shim my z axis during tramming, but a screw is stripped. This is the second time I’ve stripped a screw here. You can see the damage to the plate where I was trying to get access to it the first time. It’s an awful screw to have to replace because my screw extractor and other tricks won’t fit unless I take a ton of it apart.

I can get the screw out. I can get the tramming done (I think). But I don’t want to put another screw in there that will give me this same problem. What screws are y’all using to swap out with the standard screws? Links would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Socket head cap screws are my preferred go-to for everything (stock levels allowing, maintaining hundreds of screws is hard) unless clearance requirements dictate otherwise. Button head second best, low profile when necessary.

Of course low profile look the best and allow the most flexibility, but their potential downsides are also significant. A cap screw you can always get a pair of pliers around, stripped out or not.