Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

transition from UNO/Protoneer to BB Motion Control

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Luciano Burtini, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Luciano Burtini

Builder

I moved one of my small machines from Arduino UNO/Protoneer shield to my old (1st generation?) BlackBox control system. In doing so, I uncovered something I have not yet been able to resolve. Its not a critical issue but is something that I would like to see resolved in my setup.

Using the UNO I had wired in a emergency stop control box that switches off all power to the electronics and the motors (24v & 48v) through a relay. This control box also has [HOLD], [RESUME] & [ABORT] each of which has a corresponding header pin on the shield. When attempting to wire this box into the BB control system, I realized that the BB control does not (seemingly?) have these outputs readily available.

I did try wiring the [HOLD] to the door switch and this does pause the system, unfortunately, I am not sure how to resume. I had actually thought that the hold function through the door switch would only work when held closed (it is a momentary switch), but it seems to have acted more like an abort feature as the system stops, but does not restart.

Hoping someone more knowledgeable can advise if this is possible and gives me a hint where to look, or simply tells me that these hardware buttons will not work with the BB?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Default config assigns the Door input as Abort yes. But when properly configured as a Door input you can fully control the behaviour. See the door sections in config.h under the grblHAL repo.

If you don't need advanced config (parking motion, delays, etc) you may be happy with just ticking Safety Door under http://svn.io-engineering.com:8080/?driver=ESP32&board=BlackBox X32

3. Luciano Burtini

Builder

Thanks Peter

This is an old control box. Is there also a door configuration sections for the older controllers?

I am currently searching.

EDIT: and I found it. Thanks!

#3 Luciano Burtini, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

:) who still uses Norton :)
    Probably just because its a self-hosted little script site on the grblHAL developers servers.

David the swarfer and Rick 2.0 like this.