Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

touch probe

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by Keith Parker, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Keith Parker

Builder

Hi, I need a little help, this will be the first thing I cut. I have laid out a 1x8 on the Y axis. I used the touch probe, it seem to go through the motion all right. But when I run the job it moves in the wrong way, to the left on the X-axis. Any help would be very grateful.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Either switch one pair of the wires around on that stepper motor, or use the software to invert the direction. It is easy in the OpenBuilds Control grbl settings. It is the $2 value that needs to be changed. If you are using something else, you need to read this to see how to invert that axis so it goes the way you want. Grbl v1.1 Configuration

In your case you may need to change it to $2 = 1 (Invert X).

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

what Giarc is really saying is that you need to make sure your tool is moving in the correct direction relative to the work.
    X+ is tool to the right
    Y+ is tool away
    Z+ is tool up
    all relative to the work, this is important

once everything jogs in the correct direction, you must check that everything homes in the correct direction, there is a seperate direction invert mask for homing that allow for the home position
    to be anywhere, but you do have to set the directions.

once it jogs in the correct direction, and homes in the correct directions, then you can run a job BUT the job will only run correctly if you set the partzero (setZero buttons) in the same place the CAM drawing has the zero set. often near left corner, or center of the material, but also often against the rear/fixed jaw for things in a vice.
    wherrever it is, the setZero must be in agreement with the drawing else it won't go in the correct directions.

4. Keith Parker

Builder

This is one of the reasons I love Openbuilds is the support. I will check all this out and let you know. Thanks so much for your help

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Post your gcode file too - sounds almost like you don't have the CAM origin set to bottom left.

David the swarfer likes this.