Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Touch Probe Plus not touching material after zero.

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Bug Report' started by Jdot672000, May 15, 2023.

1. Jdot672000

Builder

Hello, my name is Jim, and I'm new here, and to the CNC arena. I hope I am posting to the correct place. I have the lead 1515 machine and it came with the touch probe plus, I inserted a 1/4" bit, opened probe, selected the probe plus, selected automatic, followed on screen "Probe Cycle" it did exactly as what I think it should, ended cycle exactly on the corner. But when I loaded my vectric file, nothing crazy, instead of carving, it hovered above the material as if it were carving, but not engaging the wood. is there a setting that I'm not seeing in the wizard? or is it the vectric file, I set all the parameters fine (I think) and when I manually set Z with the paper trick it cut as it should. so confused what to do next, or again is there a setting to "Calibrate thickness". The second issue I am having, after setting the mechanical zero in "Paper Trick" bottom left corner, as I have it in Vectric, when I hit the run job mode it engages the material, however it cuts it wrong, kind of squashes it, then it finds home at end of cut, but off of original zero point. I also hit Aero X,Y & Z . Please see attached files and see if I messed this up. Please help. And Thank You.
    Jim

Missed Zero.jpg V File.jpg Actual Cut.jpg .

Attached Files:

#1 Jdot672000, May 15, 2023
    Last edited: May 15, 2023
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Check your Z axis calibration from Wizard and Tools > Calibration menu first.

Also make sure your Origin in CAM is set to material top

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

those pictures indicate missing steps, in Y I think.
    check X and Y for sticky spots/dirt/adjustment of the wheels, sticky spots on the leadscrews, loose grubscrews on the flex collars.
    check settings, have you inscreased maxrates or accelerations at all? if so load the 1515 profile again, do the calibration wizard, and then test cut a plain circle inside a square and check that for roundness and dimensions.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Jdot672000

Builder

Ok, got it solved!

@ Peter so, after checking, rechecking, I ended up reloading the 1515 software, did the calibration wizard, TWICE! just to make sure it was dialed up, and it's all working as it should.

as far as the Vectric files getting squashed, probably a combination of all covered here I guess., I have noticed, that if I save each individual. file and run them all independently I have not had an issue on last 2 projects.

@ David, I think you may have been correct, it was moving, IMO too fast across the "X" axis, made a funny sound, and even stopped with a grinding noise. So after the wizard is moves and cuts smoothly. On the issue with the "Air Cutting" Yeah it helps if you select the correct probe in drop down menu, I have no idea, but after selecting that, and all things tuned, it worked.

Hopefully this may help someone else down the road.

Thank you for the help!

Jim

David the swarfer likes this.
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Was the funny noise a Whining sound? (Stall. Indicator that either current Adjustment is needed, or Acceleration/Max Rate set too high, or leadscrew too tight - needs a bit of dry/ptfe lube)
    Grinding could be intermittent wiring though? docs:blackbox-x32:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Loose terminal somewhere for example causing momentary loss of one of the 4 wires

6. Jdot672000

Builder

@Peter, it was a whining sound followed by a grinding halt, all is cutting fine now. I may have had it in accelerated mode, because it was screaming across when it stalled. The fix came by way of re-loading the 1515 profile, re-calibrating the X,Y and Z and now it moves as it should. Again when messing around with it originally I may have increased it idk, and now as i let it continuously move in + or - along any axis, it moves smoothly and I no longer get the stalling, grinding to a halt scenario.

Thank you all for input on this, it is much appreciated, again maybe this will help someone else out. Question, where in Florida did you guys move to? my daughter moved to St. petersburg and i’ll be visiting, you guys allow tours of the plant? would love to see it!

Jim