Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

The C-Beam Tension XL Linear Actuator Assembly Instructions Appear to be Incorrect.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by ReneX, Apr 25, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReneX

ReneX New
    Builder

Long story short, the C-Beam Tension XL Linear Actuator assembly instructions call for installing a 3mm spacer in the nut block.

upload_2024-4-25_18-55-15.png

However, I believe that the correct instructions should call for (at the very least) 4mm spacer. You can test this very easily. Simply follow the online build instruction to build the gantry cart and use a small lead screw as shown in the picture below (a small lead screw make this easier to experiment with):

upload_2024-4-25_18-58-2.png

Once that is done, proceed and install the C-Beam Motor Mount Plate and Flanged Bearing 688ZZ 8x16x5. Once that is done, move the gantry cart all the way to the end as shown in the picture below:

upload_2024-4-25_18-58-58.png

You will very quickly find out that the closer you get to the edge the harder it gets (exponentially). That is because the lead screw is not centered in the bearing. Sure, given enough force you can make it happen but you will be beating the crap out of your bearing and nut block and that is not way to operate the linear actuator.

If instead of a 3 mm spacer you use a 4 mm spacer (add an extra 1 mm spacer) in the nut block assembly things go a lot smoother, there will still be some friction but is much less, if you ask me, the best spacer is somewhere around 4.25 mm or so but I am not sure.

Open builds team, can you please try this simple experiment? I recently ordered two C-Beam Tension XL Linear Actuator and both exhibit the same issue, I am pretty sure this is not a coincidence. Assuming that I am correct, this appears to be a significant issue if you ask me.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thank you. We note you already have an open ticket with the store about this. Please continue with the store to ensure we provide you with the support you need.

Mind if I close this thread to avoid cross posting? Best if the team just has a single point of conversation, spreading the same conversation across multiple systems gets hard to follow. Thanks for understanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.