Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Table saw fence

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by yoboseyo, Jul 15, 2021.

1. yoboseyo

yoboseyo New
    Builder

Hi all,

First post here, and I must admit I'm new to aluminium extrusion. I'm a woodworker and it looks like all of my jigs can be replaced with aluminium extrusions because them all my jigs can fit into one another.

Just a few questions about table saw fence design. I've read through a past threads on this and I haven't gotten a concensus best way to do things so I wanted to get your input into design choices:

Firstly, what's the best way to make a slider with no play? V-slots use carriages whereas t-tracks have sliding bearings, and I've read that there is less play in bearings. 8020 has bearing assemblies like these, but are very expensive:
    I'm wondering why there aren't just sliding inserts for V-slot like there is for T tracks. Should I just use wheels?

Also, what's the best way to get the fence complete squarely with the rail? Is there a corner plate or bracket that is very square?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Properly adjusted V-Wheels have zero play, as you preload the wheels against the extrusion. We use eccentric spacers to adjust the wheel spacing

The COMPONENTS and PLATES categories of the store has several items you can use, though I wouldn't worry to much about them being straight as-is, you can always square things up perfectly before fully tightening the fastners

Checkout A How-To In Homebrew Design, Fab, And Assembly With Structural Framing Systems for a good overview of combining, for example, both Plates, and Corner Brackets together to square and remove slop from assemblies by working on different planes of the design

David the swarfer and Rick 2.0 like this.