Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by KnockOnWood, Jul 27, 2023.

1. KnockOnWood

Builder

I have posted threads twice, both got taken down. I have emailed openbuilds , I got run around answers. I have been on the first 15 minutes of the video for literally 8 hours over the course of 3 days. I work 12 hours, come home, straight to the shop for 3 days now. I can not figure out how to get these tee nuts to feed through the slots on the beam to connect to the assembled gantry plate. On the instructional video it’s right at 15 minutes and 6 seconds. I have watched this probably 12 times if not more. There isn’t enough room to slide the tee nuts. If I take the threads out some to allow room to slide (and I mean just enough room), the tee nuts come off. Any suggestions PLEASE!!!!!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Your threads are both up (has always been): See Issues assembling Lead 1515 (and Lead 1515 which was closed as its a duplicate of the first)

The Store did also send you an Email, so the response stays the same:

Please check you mail (including spam)

3. KnockOnWood

Builder

I have the thread going the way I was told and it shows in the video. I CANNOT get the tee nuts to slide through the rails.

4. KnockOnWood

Builder

The gap between the plate and the tee nut is not wide enough to allow the tee nut to slide into the rail

5. KnockOnWood

Builder

I’m order to get it wide enough, the tee nut is sitting on just about the last thread so if it does slide on, the tee nut pops right off. I am using the m5 10mm screws with the m5 tee nuts.

6. KnockOnWood

Builder

You’re right, the store did send me an email but they aren’t answering my questions in their responses. Look man all I want to do is get this together. I have worked 12 hour shift (14 if you include my drive time) came home, and came straight to the shop every day this week. I want to get this thing going and I’m beginning to get very irritated because I can not get anybody to show me what ai am doing wrong if anything or going through the trouble shooting of maybe there is something wrong with the part. I was going to bring my calipers home from work to measure the thickness of this plate but forgot them. There’s got to be an issue somewhere.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

We've never had issue with plate thickness, but you can check screw length to see if it agrees with the video step. Perhaps used wrong screw (used the right ones elswhere or still in packaging) (or remote possibility that you got sent the wrong screws in which case, measure and confirm, reply back to the store if that is the case so they can send out replacements)

If the video says it should be 10mm, and they are 10mm it should work.

Take a picture of your issue so we can check what we see there?

8. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Hi @KnockOnWood
    As Peter mentioned this should not be the case as we are working directly from the parts list and video. So I am not sure why this could be happing, but it may be the screw length itself, I will look into this more.

In the meantime, one suggestion would be to flip the teenut over as that will give a couple more mm of threading for the screws and will work in the same fashion.

If you're not able to get that to work, please reach out to me and I will help make sure you get longer screw lengths to ensure your build moves forward.

I can promise you that once you are though some of these frustrations of the Build you will love working with this machine, you will know it inside and out and it will bring you many years of fun projects.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  9. KnockOnWood

Builder

Ok so if I flip the t-nut over so that the protrusion faces the plate instead of the inner part of the rail that will be okay? I did that the first time accidentally and it worked fine. I fixed it when I realized he did it the opposite way in the video where the flat side is against the plate. If I flip it around I know it will work but can that cause any issues later on?

10. Peter Van Der Walt

It might deform the slot a little, but as in this orientation where it goes isn't also used as slot for a wheel, it should be fine.

11. KnockOnWood

Builder

Sweet. Thank you