Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Straight torch not working

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Charles Pierce, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Charles Pierce

Builder

I purchased a Yeswelder 65DS. I did this because everyone said to get a plasma cutter non-high frequency because the high frequency would cause problems with the 4X control box. So the hand held torch that came with the cutter works fine, however when I hook up a P80 straight torch to the cutter I get no spark from the torch. Any ideas? The torch that came with the cutter has more wires and maybe some kind of maybe a capacitor on the torch head. The P80 straight torch I purchased for this cutter does not have all the extra wires and the capacitor looking device at the torch head. Any help would be helpful.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Can you post some pictures of your wiring?

3. Charles Pierce

Builder

All I can figure is the torch that came with the non-HF cutter has some kind of different HF torch head. The straight torch I purchased says non touch torch. Just totally confused.
    upload_2023-4-28_17-42-45.jpeg

4. Peter Van Der Walt

If you take the nozzle off, does it have the same design as the hand torch? Blowback torches should have at least
    1) spring pins contacting the outer copper nozzle (used to create the return for the pilot arc)
    2) spring loaded electrode that you can push on (if the electrode doesn’t move its a HF) - that's what "blows back" through the pressure of the air on startup

P80 vs IPT80 vs IPTM80 might come into play, not 100% sure myself, but if you look into it there are differences (plastic vs ceramic body, but possibly also different ignition types, etc)

5. Charles Pierce

Builder

From what I read the P80 torch requires a HF plasma machine only. Thanks for the help. I will try a HF plasma cutter.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Noooo that will cause a lot of EMI issues! Blowback is best! You have a good inverter, just the wrong straight torch. Just return and replace the torch with the P80s Blowback version (ask the vendor. Iptm80 or ipt80 or something like that - don't hold me to it, confirm with the vendor)

HF is unusable around CNC equipment

7. Charles Pierce

Builder

What you suggest creates another problem. My plasma cutter uses a different connection for the torch. The first photo is the connection that my plasma cutter has and the second photo is the torch you suggested.
    upload_2023-4-29_14-27-12.jpeg upload_2023-4-29_14-28-34.jpeg

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Talk to the vendor.... They can put any plug on any torch.

9. Charles Pierce

Builder

I did and they say they have no straight torch for the cutter.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Speak to any one of the other 100+ aliexpress/amazon stores that sells torches :)

11. Charles Pierce

Builder

I have checked the 4x black box with a multimeter and the relay is not closing the relay. As far as using a high frequency plasma cutter I have been told to use a
    Clip-on Ferrite Ring Core RFI EMI Noise Suppressor Cable Clip on all the leads coming in and out of the control box to prevent any damage to the PCB.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

HF won't work! Their high voltage high frequency pre-arc will trip up USB, HDMI, Endstops, even cameras. Its a 1950s technology still sold on the very lowest cost inverters only.
    Of course its your money if you do want to waste it to try an HF. But when it does damage the Blackbox you will be pointed back to this thread along with your warranty refusal. It is a bad idea.
    You will also be pointed back here when you ask for support because the HF is causing USB disconnects false alarms etc. You have been warned :)

As for the relay, factory tested to work. If it does not, you either changed Grbl Settings or Relay Jumpers

That Yeswelder Plasma is fine for CNC use. Just put in the tiny bit of effort to mount the hand torch, or find a suitable Machine torch (which does exist)

13. Charles Pierce

Builder

I totally give up. I am sorry I purchased a Table from Delusional Designs and your Black Box. There is no affordable solution for a home use cnc table or machine.

14. Charles Pierce

Builder

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Probably unlikely - 140A is way outside the range of the 65A
    Its also bare, no plumbing included etc which complicates issues again finding the right threaded adapters etc

Why not just mount the hand torch that you know works? All the extra complications are just causing you frustration. You don't need a machine torch, just make sure to mount the hand torch nicely:

Screenshot_2023-04-30-23-01-46-240_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

And no, you don't need a 3D printer. Baling wire, hose clamps, epoxy putty, wittled piece of wood - just fashion a way to hold it a close to upright as possible.

Another random screenshot off youtube (bolts and hand cut plate - apply some imagination )

Screenshot_2023-04-30-23-08-15-978_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Once its up and working you can use the machine to cut a better mount for itself and upgrade as you go.

If you insist on a machine torch, you would have to find a torch supplier you can actually talk to and explain what fittings and wiring it needs, what amperage range, blowback style etc so they can get you the right one. Online pictures are misleading, you'll end up wasting money

16. Charles Pierce

Builder

Thanks for the suggestion about mounting the hand head torch. The problem is the head length is too short. I did cancel the 140A head because it required HF machine. I am conversing with the Non-HF torch head manufacture, he has suggested the 60AMP non-HF torch , pictured. Also is the hand held angle torch that came with the machine.
    upload_2023-5-1_19-49-4.jpeg upload_2023-5-1_19-49-25.jpeg