Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Small vacuum pump for cutting vinyl records

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Allistar, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Allistar

Allistar New
    Builder

Hi everyone,
    I have two 3 axis CNC machines (one being a LEAD 1515) and I cut vinyl records on one of them. I've made a simple vacuum table which has a grid of 1.5mm holes in the 300mm circle that a record sits on. The record is held down by a machine screw and washer through the central hole. I use a 1.5mm single flute downcut bit. Records don't tend to be perfectly flat so I use the vacuum table to suck it down flat against the spoil board. The vacuum is provided by a Ryobi shop vac style wet and dry vacuum cleaner.

This all works very well apart from one problem: the vacuum cleaner is far too noisy. I think it's over 90dB.

I would like to use something like the DeWalt Steathsonic which is supposed to be around 65dB, but that's not available in New Zealand. It would seem better for me to use a proper vacuum pump instead of a cleaner. I don't know where to start. I don't need a powerful pump because a record is only 300mm in diameter. Can anyone give me pointers on what to look for in a pump that would be useful for this application?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

check matthias Wandel on youtue, he has made a bunch of vacuum systems which may do what you need