Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

review of my progress in the CNC journey

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by bo Toepfer, Jul 22, 2021.

1. bo Toepfer

Builder

Hello, friends . I have been using my Lead 1010 now for just over one year. I have made progress with the help of folks here and a buddy who knows a bit more than I, Today I was cutting a part I designed in fusion360 and I cut one of the parts flawlessly, the second part while I was moving about in the router room I pulled the plug by accident shutting off the spindle. I aborted the job and went to restart, thinking it would be no problem but it was a problem the holes it cut are about 1/2" off of the first few, I use the OB zero block and I figured it would know where the stock was, but no,, my question is should I be starting the job from the machines "home", this job has two cuts no bit change just cutting 16 hole and a contour cut, please enlighten me,, Thanks Bo

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

After a power off, or anything that might upset your controller knowing where the machine is (if the spindle stops and jams against the workpiece for example) you should home your machine - it shouldn't be necessary to reset your workplace zero - your controller should remember where that is in relation to the home position.
    Alex.

PS - if you break the bit you will need to reset Z zero with the new one, but shouldn't have to reset X or Y zero.

3. bo Toepfer

Builder

Alex Chambers thank you very much so even when I home the machine and the DRO 's change the machine will hold the last zero point?,, is there a benefit of starting the cut machine job from the home position after I set the zero with the probe?

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If you mean starting the job from the machine co-ordinate system home position there is a disadvantage - you need space around the workpiece (especially if you are using a grbl controller and enabled hard or soft limits). I home back, right, up but start my jobs near the front, so I use my user interface to send G-code to move rapidly to my starting position. G53 G0 Z[a position just below the Z limit switch] then G53 G0 Xn Yn. The first command lifts Z for safety, the second sends it to the machine co-ordinate where I want to set up my job. I have the Duet controller which behaves a bit differently from a grbl one so there's no point quoting the actual numbers - they would depend on your machine size anyway.
    Alex.

#4 Alex Chambers, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  5. bo Toepfer

Builder

Thanks, My machine homes front left, I use the black box controller, and usually set my work near the front left corner. , I will play with some scrap and see what happens,, as always thanks