Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Removing Drive Gear from Old Stepper

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by rbrpguy, Jul 9, 2023.

1. rbrpguy

rbrpguy New
    Builder

Looking for suggestions on how to remove drive gear from old steppers to put on new steppers without damaging. Gear puller won't work, shaft doesn't go through. Thanks! gear.jpg

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

when a gear puller won't move them I have found the only way to get the gear off is to cut it off with a Dremel with a thin grinding disk.
    I believe they are heated and then shrunk on, which makes them much tighter than a press fit.
    Do put masking tape around the bearings, we don't want grinding dust in the bearings!

but without damage?
    We dont want to heat the entire motor, the bearings will die and the magnets will demagentize.
    Nor do we want to disassemble the motor, again the magents will be damaged.

We need a bigger/more powerful gear puller, like a 6 ton bottle jack in a frame and a slot that the shaft can go through while the jack pushes on the shaft.

To me the motor is much more precious then the gear, I would cut the gear off and buy/make new gears.

3. rbrpguy

rbrpguy New
    Builder

Thanks David, I concur. I started sourcing gears with set screws yesterday. :)