Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Re-Centering After a cut was made

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by sourceminer, Sep 1, 2023.

1. sourceminer

Builder

Im not sure how to ask this question, so I will start with the issue.

I have a large order of flags I have carved. Turns out some of the stars are larger than others and I believe this is due to the warping of the wood.

I would like to re-carve certain stars or a sequence of GCode. Seems it would be cool to have some wizard that might help you re-center on a star by manually moving to the exact area, then tell the control software to only carve the section of G-Code.

Technically I know if I Re-Center manually to the datum, I should be able to re-carve. However this has had issues in the past with double lines. So I have had to manually calculate and subtract etc the exact home location of where the datum was set prior.

2. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

There is an easier way to do it but it may take a bit longer to do.
    First, use a probe to find your X and Y zero points. Use this to start ALL your cuttings.
    Then, in your CAM program generate the code to cut only the part that you want to recut.

I do this all the time when I make PCBs or other parts that need different bit sizes to manufacture.

Giarc likes this.
  3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

a few months ago I was cutting some plywood and it shifted, the resulting cut int he wrong place was 'outside the line' so all I had to do was reseat it and restart the cut.
    BUT I had not started with 0,0 on a corner.
    To find 0 again I looked into the Gcode file and identified some of the corners that were already cut and used those to set X and Y to those known places, which is the same as finding 0 again.
    Using 2 corners ensures you are not way off in angle or position.

4. sourceminer

Builder

Yes all good suggestions, I have done the same thing. Seems like creating some kind of macro to help find and auto-re-calculate 0,0 would be a good project to make.