Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Problem calibrating Y axis

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by SeanD, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Honestly i've never seen grbl cause non-symetrical parts. This will in the end boil down to something mechanical i think. Chains are good for timing, but not for motion, because one or two links can be longer than their neighbors. That may well be why it looses symmetry

2. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

It happens with the drive system completely disengaged. The motors are still making unexpected movements. Just computer, blackbox, motors connected.. nothing else.

3. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

This machine has been running pretty much non stop for months. The chain is fixed to the moving axis and is twice the length of the axis so the same position of the machine always reflects the same part of the chain. Like it doesn’t loop around so no common chain links. Also rotating the drawing gives the exact same results.

4. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Also it’s non symmetrical but still completes the contour. The 3 small slots on the cut out I was using all have the exact same dinky part even though they are impacted by a different part of the chain.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Well, can eliminate that by attaching a pen and drawing a 10x10mm grid over the whole bed