Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Over 1500mm with lead screws?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Daniel Smith, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Daniel Smith

Builder

Im building a router and need a work are of 4ft x 5ft, I know I can use 8mm lead screws for the x axis/4ft, But for the 5ft y axis is it possible to use lead screws that long?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Somewhere here on the forum there is a discussion about how to brace a longer lead screw to keep it from whipping. First though I would probably check with the OpenBuilds Parts Store to see if longer lengths are even available.

3. Daniel Smith

Builder

thanks ill do a search, i think 1540 is the longest offered in the store, but ive found longer larger diameter on amazon

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Sadly I have not been able to find reasonable 1/2-10 5 start anti-backlash nuts for quite some time. You can get 1/2 - 10 5 start precision lead screws in 6' length from McMaster Carr for a reasonable price, but the nuts get pricey. I have not seen any whipping in mine over the 1500mm length. There are lots of folks that have made their own and if you have a lathe that makes it easier. I made my own out of a delrin block I purchased, But, I would rather purchase some in the OpenBuilds format like what used to be available on Ebay. You can get 12mm. I thought about re-tapping one of those, but I may go the homemade route again when my current ones wear out. I am experimenting with 3D printing some out of POM, but that filament is real tough to work with.

6. Daniel Smith

Builder