Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

opt laser help please

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by bfoster9987, May 4, 2023.

1. bfoster9987

Builder

Hi,
    I have a lead 1515 and bought an opt laser. on the first day, I tried it, got it to cut a few things, and then put it away for a few days. I'm back now and can't get the laser to turn on. I get it armed, fan comes on, but no laser when I run the program. I have m4 and m5, spindle speed set, IDK. The whole arming proceedure is confusing. If I hold the mode button long enough on the laser it pulses for a second. Any one run across this issue?
    I have light burn and v carve programs. I don't know... very confusing.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Did you change $30 in Grbl Settings perhaps? (or it still 1000 default)

3. bfoster9987

Builder

Im pretty sure it is still 1000, what do you mean by$30

4. bfoster9987

Builder

I'm trying to run it in the open builds cam. It runs the g code program but does not turn the laser on and off even though I have the ready light on, armed light on, laser light off, but the laser fan is running when armed is on.
    I just tried to run it from light burn, and I get an error saying the laser is either busy or paused, maybe this is the issue. The last project I did, on day one I was running from openbuilds software, it was working, but I paused the program and stopped the job at that time. It has not worked for me since. Is there a way to unpause the laser maybe?

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Have a read through the Grbl Wiki: Grbl v1.1 Configuration

Also check wiring

6. bfoster9987

Builder

Thank you. I followed the instructions with the optilaser install. It had me open openbuilds cam and set the laser to m4/m5 setting. When I generate a program to laser cut, it has the m4 on and m5 off at the end of the program I've manually entered s 1000, and various other speeds with the M$ but the laser does not fire. If I hold the mode button for a while on the opti laser, it pulse fires for me. I see the article on the $30 but have no idea where to put that into. uggh. frustrating, like I say, day one, Monday it worked, now it will not fire.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Not in CAM, in your Grbl Settings in CONTROL.
    The same place where you are supposed to set Laser Mode to Enabled?
    Which from your questions also sounds like you have not read that section of the Grbl Wiki? Grbl v1.1 Laser Mode
    The Grbl Wiki is a Must-read to understand the firmware/firmware parameters
    By that I do mean the ENTIRE Wiki, not just little sections I quicklinked to - that's meant as a reference to remind you where you read it earlier :)

8. bfoster9987

Builder

uggh, i got it. I had the control box on the wrong setting for the black box to enable it