Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuilds need to use M7 and M9 for torch control

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Matt Petersen, Sep 1, 2023.

1. Matt Petersen

Builder

I am running a DLC32 board and have the torch on/off wired with a relay onto a pin on the board that is activated using M7 and turned off with M9. I see in Openbuilds that this defaults to mist control.

Is it possible to reconfigure Openbuilds so that it uses M7 and M9 instead of M3 and M5 or do I need to remap my pin in the firmware to do this?

Cheers
    Matt

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

what do mean when you say 'openbuilds' ? could it be OpenbuildsCAM or could it be the Fusion360 postprocessor or even OpenbuildSCONTROL?.

broader picture..... M7/M9 is not just our default, it is industry wide, M7 is for coolant, so I would advise against making this work.
    M3/M5 is for spindle/torch control and there will certainly be an output on your controller that is activated by those codes, rather use that.

3. Matt Petersen

Builder

Thanks for the reply.

I am using Openbuilds Control with an MKS DLC32 V2.1

I have tried using the TTL output on this board but get nothing out of the signal pin which is why I switched to using the mist/coolant pins as they work fine.

The board notes show S, G, V - I have +12V across G and V but S is always 0V between S and G. I have checked the Openbuilds config and $32 Laser mode is enabled and $30 is set to 1000.

I have a 12V/5V high triggered relay which powers on fine with the G and V pins but doesn't activate. Relay works fine using the mist pin to trigger it.

Cheers
    Matt.

4. Matt Petersen

Builder

After flashing GRBLHAL onto the DLC32 the pins all worked as expected and I was able to switch to using M3 as per the standards.

Cheers
    Matt

David the swarfer likes this.