Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New to OpenBuilds

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by cc44, Apr 29, 2024.

1. cc44

cc44 New
    Builder

Need some opinions, YES I know this is on OpenBuilds forums so I know it will skew towards OpenBuilds. Trying to decide between Shapeoko 5 Pro or Lead 1515. I want to cut cabinet panels. The building from the ground up intrigues me. But I also like the fact that Shapeoko has great customer service and training. Open builds seems like an awesome community but since it’s all opensource per se, does that affect support. I started with a Foxalien and support is HORRIBLE. I love the fact OpenBuilds is in FLA. how is the support.

Alain JBT likes this.
  2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The support is excellent.

3. cc44

cc44 New
    Builder

is the difference between the LEAD 1515 and the LEAD 1010 just the size. Can i buy the 1010 then upgrade to a 1515 at later date?

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

You could, but you would need longer extrusions and longer leadscrews.
    I would recommend working out what the cost of upgrading would be before you make a final decision.

Alex.

Alain JBT likes this.
  5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

The magic of the 1515 is the dual beam X axis so the upgrade is a little more complicated than just extending some members. It’s just best to start with a 1515 if you have a feeling you may wind up there.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

There are a lot of subtle differences - different motor mounts, different leadscrew system (tension vs compression), different lengths leadscrews and C-Beams, different Z axis style, different wheel counts, dual X rails, etc. The 1515 is a whole different class of machine, so I agree, if that's what you think you'll need eventually, its best to spend a little more upfront and get it

Alain JBT likes this.
  7. Alain JBT

Alain JBT Well-Known
    Builder

Hi,
    In this category of linear machine and architecture the only limit I know would be 1540 mm. (Lead Screws) for maximal travel dimension and 4 axes for the steppers with the Blackbox X32, 1500x1500 is an honorable dimension to create beautiful projects.
    The great force of Openbuilds in amateur and semi-professional matters is the quality and variety of all the components available with a very good value for money.
    I mention that the quality of technical and commercial support is a large task force, the majority of which are very developed engineers with high level skils.
    To get an idea without rushing a purchase that you could regret, I advise you to take the time to travel the store, the Builds forum and many reviews in the help forum.

This is the sincere opinion of an Swiss origin addict.
    Welcome and greetings :thumbsup:

#7 Alain JBT, May 5, 2024
    Last edited: May 5, 2024