Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by steelspinner, May 3, 2014.

1. steelspinner

Builder

Hi all,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Dave. I have been a lurker for a while on the forums here and finally decided to post. I am a machinist/designer/cnc programer by trade. I have designed and built several special duty cnc and hardware control systems over the years. After reading several of the threads and seeing some of the truly innovative builds on here I have to say that I am very impressed.

I would like to offer my knowledge in machining and control design to this group as a whole. I have seen a lot of confusion on here as to basics of machine tool technology, mostly dealing with cutting speeds/feeds, coolants and depths of cut(axial and radial).

I will post in active discussions where I can. If anyone has an specific questions, please ask. I may have an answer or can point you in the right direction to figure out your situation.

Dave

2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the group. :)

We would certainly welcome your contributions and the sharing of your knowledge and experience. :thumbsup:

Tweakie.

3. skrider

skrider New
    Builder

I think it would be great to start a beginners cheat sheet thread that covers the common hobbyist materials and typical cut depth, feed speed, recommended mill, etc. I realize that this varies some depending on the machine, but I'd imagine that there's a good rule of thumb for the hobbyist level machine that most of us are using.

I would imagine that you'd have a lot to offer on that subject!

4. Bilrob

Bilrob New
    Builder

Hi Dave, I'm new to CNC and I'm having problems with my machine. Honestly, I'm 66 years young and not that good with a computer. I tried to find how to put up a new post on the web site and I can't even do that. My machine made a hard stop and since then the 3 axis are going the wrong way and my home all is gray and won't light up. I've reset everything and even uninstalled the software and put it back and still dosen't work. If you could give me an idea of where to start to fix my issues , I would really appreciate. Thanks.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Restore your last good backup. CONTROL > Grbl Settings tab > Restore Backup button on main toolbar > pick that backup file you saved when all was working well

Home all being grayed out and directions being wrong (and a host of other settings you haven't noticed yet) are all Grbl Settings, so you somehow wiped your settings. Luckily thats why you have (should have) a backup

If you forgot to backup head back to Grbl Settings tab and setup the machine as you did during intial setup, same tweaks you applied over the years, then backup so you don't have to do it again

6. Bilrob

Bilrob New
    Builder

Thanks for the response Peter, I've brought everything back to factory default. Home all is not grey anymore but I haven't used it because the 3 axis are still going the wrong way, any advice? Thanks again

7. Peter Van Der Walt

CONTROL > Grbl Settings > $3 Direction Invert. Flio switches to opposite of what it is now for any axis going wrong. Assuming all the other settings are correct

8. Bilrob

Bilrob New
    Builder

Hi Peter, I'm very sorry that I don't understand what to do. All I did with this machine is do a boit of letter engraving on wood. I am not at all familiar with the language. I have never done any tweaks on my machine because I only knew the basics. I don't know if it's possible (for a fee of course) that you could access my computer and help me fix this?

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Exactly that, step by step. Open CONTROL. Go to Grbl Settings tab > Scroll down to $3 Direction Invert. Flip switches as needed to fix any axes thats moving incorrectly.
    upload_2024-9-9_14-8-38.png

Bilrob likes this.
  10. Bilrob

Bilrob New
    Builder

Thank you so much, I finally understood, I got to home all, now I'll try it out. Thanks a million.

11. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

As for a free course, read through this. It answers most questions. Home

Bilrob and Peter Van Der Walt like this.