Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New Lead 1515 problems- probably user error!

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Gareth Morgan, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Gareth Morgan

Builder

Recently built machine.
    All built to spec, and without issue.
    Basic commissioning all went went, all worked fine.
    Used spoilboard surfacing/flattening wizard from Openbuilds and that worked well.
    Using vcarve pro.
    Did couple basic engravings, they went well.
    Did a basic bowl/catch all tray, that went well.

Then my problems seemed to start;

Set up new workpiece and design.
    Tried cutting rugby ball tray, using same method, pocket cut using 6mm end mill, then clean the edge and add radius using 5mm ball nose. Router veered off to left on about third pass, so scrapped that.

started another work piece and design. As I wasn’t impressed with inner radius on first bowl,having used 6mm end mill, then 5mm round nose, i redid the design and added an 18mm bowl & tray bit. On about the third step down it lurched forward.

Tried same design again on new workpiece, and it cut wonky shape outline of rugby ball, then veered off to left.

I don’t think it’s a design/software problem, although I accept I may have caused a problem uploading a new cutting bit?? I used recommended settings for speed, step over, and was only cutting 1.2mm deep on last piece, 2mm on second piece.

After removing third damaged workpiece, I noticed x axis was jammed and wouldn’t move left, but it would move right. Router was nearly all the way over on left at this point. I removed steppa motor and confirmed that was working in both directions okay. Then refitted motor and loosed and refitted lock nuts on both end of X lead screw. Now I have an intermittent problem of x axis sticking sometimes going left, sometimes right- with no obvious diagnosis of what is causing the problem.

I am reluctant to remove x axis to look at the plastic screw blocks that lead screw passed through, without definitely identifying that as being the problem- as it would be a load of work and agro.

happy to upload more pics, or video if anything thinks they might have an idea what wrong and need mor info?

many thanks

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I think you are correct that its not design/gcode related. It sounds like you've ruled out a mechanical issue (binding), and doesnt seem like its EMI related, so its probably a wiring issue. Its completely probable that it worked initially and now it doesnt (we see it all the time). Double check wires at connections and make sure they are making good contact (secured on bare wire, not insulation) and that there are no strands of wire sticking out causing a short. If all that looks good, it could be a brake in the wire so double check continuity of each wire. Probably best to check with the machine in the location where you were having issues. Perhaps the wires are too tight in the position?

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Gareth Morgan

Builder

Okay,thanks, will check that out in the morning

sharmstr likes this.
  4. Gareth Morgan

Builder

You’ve got me thinking now about emi. My black box controller is mounted on small ply support I installed, along with metal box housing connector block for router cable extension- I wonder if this might be a problem?

I am going to try and add a shield between black box and anything 240v, and possibly change metal box for plastic one- hopefully along with checking all my LV connections I might fix the problem!

Attached Files:

5. Gareth Morgan

Builder

UPDATE

Checked all wiring/connections
    Temporarily unplugged limit switches from black box
    Replaced cable to X steppa motor
    Removed any possible cause of interference from 230v
    Reset- still not right
    X axis is binding, sometimes to left, sometimes to right, moves a little, then moves a lot, then sticks, completely inconsistently!
    Have tried loosening/tightening lock nuts at either end of lead screw.
    Have tried loosening fixings to plastic blocks that lead screw passes through.
    Now stuck, and don’t know what to do.

I am uploading photos in the hope that someone will spot something stupid I have done, and tell me what to do.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Remove the motor (never spin motors by hand, they work like generators, backfeed your electronics, causes damage to stepper drivers) then spin the X axis leadscrew by hand - that will help you locate the binding.
    If it really does not bind mechanically, a video of the noises / binding you experience will help as advise too

7. Gareth Morgan

Builder

UPDATE

Having read another thread regarding sticking X axis, I thought I would follow advise given there - remove motor, light silicone spray on lead screw turn by hand/battery drill. That all seemed to work fine and I was happy that it seemed to be freeing up, and not grinding in some places, which it felt like in places when hand turning.

put everything back together, and now I can get anything to move. I have the laptop plugged direct into the black box, can’t jog in any direction, have tried resetting everything,inc black box even reloaded Openbuilds program, doesn’t want to know. This I’m sure is now a software problem- hopefully the z axis screw is now okay- can anyone explain how to get the program and machine in sync?

thanks

screen shot of fault message when trying to jog on laptop attached.

Attached Files:

8. Peter Van Der Walt

For motors to move you just need two things:
    1) Power on (24v) and working correctly
    2) Machine Profile loaded (Particularly to set $4=0 for X32): CONTROL > Grbl Settings > Select machine from the list > Save
    As you were troubleshooting, any chance you unplugged PSU, or changed some Grbl Settings manually?

9. Gareth Morgan

Builder

Yes, psu was unplugged every time I played with connections to black box. I haven’t adjusted any settings, apart from the toggle for limit switch active/disabled.

10. Peter Van Der Walt

Well, do check the settings, make sure $4=0 (For X32, or =1 for BlackBox 4X) is still set and check that the power is still working right (Fan spinning?)

11. Gareth Morgan

Builder

Okay, thanks, reset everything again, and this time it sync’d.

X axis now moving freely left/right without previous sticking - however there is a metallic grating noise, which I don’t remember from before? Sounds like metal on metal?

i have uploaded video, with sound, for you to see.
    Also, new, is what I think is a warning light on black box for z axis ?

thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

12. Peter Van Der Walt

See 2nd half of docs:blackbox-x32:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation]

See docs:blackbox-x32:faq-identify-motor-coils [OpenBuilds Documentation] (sounds like only 3 of the 4 motor wires are making solid contact throughout)
    I also notice excess whip in the X-axis leadscrew - either improperly tensioned, bent during installation, or forgot to install aluminum spacers under nutblock (between nutblock and plate)?

13. Gareth Morgan

Builder

Thanks, warning light gone off on its own.

X axis- checked all connections, both ends, all correct. Added more tension to lead screw- that made it seize up.
    Spacers definitely installed , checked measure off back of lead screw and it’s consistent along whole axis.

I know lead screw wasn’t bent when it was delivered and installed - is there a chance it bent when machine cut off piste yesterday and jammed? The wobble as the gantry travels side to side, and the fact it jammed when I added tension would tend to indicate it might be damaged/bent?

thanks

14. Gareth Morgan

Builder

Having ordered a new lead screw, I thought I would strip out old one ready, think I found source of metal grinding noise?

Attached Files:

15. Peter Van Der Walt

I think so too, would possibly explain the overheating (Fault Indicator) (working harder than it should, if not dial it down a little)
    and likely the noise too. Was it overtensioned then?

Always a possibility

16. Gareth Morgan

Builder

Thrust bearing replaced and new lead screw installed. All now working well.

I think I had overtensioned the original x axis lead screw, and ultimately damaged the thrust bearing. I have been very careful installing and tensioning these replacements, and the whip on the lead screw is minimal.

thanks for your help.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.