Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Milling Cast Acrylic on a LEAD 1515 Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Scott Thompson, May 12, 2024.

1. Scott Thompson

Builder

Hi all,
    I have a LEAD 1515 CNC machine with a Makita RT0700C router and a BB X32 controller. This will be my first attempt at milling 1/4" cast acrylic. I plan to do both profile and area clearance cuts. I have purchased a 1/4" O flute upcut end mill for the job. All I need now are some good feed and speed recommendations from people who have milled acrylic successfully. It would be much appreciated if the following information could be provided:

- stepdown (depth of cut)
    - stepover (% of bit dia)
    - router speed
    - feed rate
    - plunge rate
    - climb vs conventional cutting
    - ramping

Internet research tells me the best way to hole down acrylic is double sided tape. Any recommendations on the best ds tape to use would also be appreciated

Thanks in advance.
    Scott

Scott

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

1mm , if all goes well, try 2mm
    33%
    18000rpm
    set by selecting a 0.05mm feed per tooth
    75% of feedrate
    conventional, plastics generally prefer conventional. but you will soon see the different in surface finish on either side of a slot, then you will know what to use for the finishing pass.
    yes, always yes, 5 degrees
    nope, masking tape and CA glue is better (-: I use the cheapest masking tape in the store, and whatever CA I can get a 3 pack of, usually Alcolin brand around here.
    Unless you are chewing away at aluminum you don't need anything fancy.
    But DO:
    clean the surfaces, no oils, includes fingerprints
    rub the tape down so it makes proper contact everywhere, not fingertips, use the smooth tool like a teaspoon
    wait 10 minutes for the CA to set (with weights on the acrylic) , do not use accelerator, it will cause lumps.
    you do not need to coat the entire surface in tape, on a 12" square I use 3 stripes, near edge, far edge, and center.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cnc+masking+tape++ca

3. Scott Thompson

Builder

Thanks for all this great info David.
    Scott