Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Looking for guidance on what controller board to get.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by broken85, Jan 26, 2022.

1. broken85

broken85 New
    Builder

Greetings Wise CNC Gurus,

I have been building a CNC machine off and on for a few years now. I have dusted it off and am back to finishing the build.

I originally got a planet-cnc usb controller that worked fine to make the motors spin on my bench. but it is no longer supported. I would like to get a board that is compatible with the openbuilds software but i am not ready to get the blackbox controller. I would like to get my feet wet with my MDF cut with a Jigsaw build before moving up to the big leagues.

What stepper motor controller would you suggest. I would like to have a USB connected board.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to sharing my build once it is making sawdust.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you already have a set of drivers you can make do with an Arduino to control them. If you don't already have a decent set of drivers you might as well spring for a BlackBox as the total of the Arduino plus a decent set of drivers is pretty far into the price of just getting a BlackBox which is far more bulletproof and user friendly.

3. broken85

broken85 New
    Builder

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Wrong type of board. You need a $175 software package to run it.

Dig around the forum a little you'll find plenty of examples of how to use the Arduino. And BTW, if you do go Arduino buy a genuine Arduino. The clones can have issues with throughput.

5. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I agree with Rick, if you already have those drivers get an Arduino Uno and flash GRBL on to it, or Estlcam and learn to wire it up, getting a wire shield for the Uno makes it easier (basically adds screw terminals to the uno).
    Cheers
    Gary

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

You can buy a screw shield that plugs into your arduino which makes hooking everything up much easier. Then, follow one these diagrams (C-Beam cnc ) and set your grbl $4 setting accordingly. It worked for me on my 1st build. Screw Shield Example.

#6 Giarc, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  7. broken85

broken85 New
    Builder

Thanks everyone, for the advice.
    I will give Arduino a try. I know I can pick that up at my local Microcenter.

Gary Caruso likes this.