Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Looking for a controller for dbl Z axis Sphinx

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by TravisC, Feb 27, 2020.

1. TravisC

TravisC New
    Builder

Wanting to do a 1000x500 Sphinx with the custom plates, a double z axis & high torque motors. I like the black box but the sphinx will require the extra axis to be a duplicate Y. I need to also control two z axis simultaneously. How can I do this? Will I need different control board / drivers / power supply?

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

According to this post (which was a long time ago) you can tap into the BlackBox with external drivers, thus you could tap into the system and grab the Z-axis signal before it goes to the onboard drivers and route that signal to a pair of decent stepper drivers (which seem to have disappeared from the parts store) then to a pair of Z-axis steppers. It should be noted that the BlackBox has been upgraded a couple times since the original post so Peter will have to chime in to declare if this is still possible.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You can also run two Z motors in parallel off the Z axis driver onboard. Depends on how much power you really need, but with a typical leadscrew setup should be fine.

Old info still valid, just a schlep (; to do hehe
    Connector looks a little different (now an 8 pin), and slightly different location, from v2.6 boards onwards, but the XY and Z pins are still there and labelled clearly