Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Lead Screw thread pitch issue

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by jltcet, May 4, 2024.

1. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

Ok so I have 2 different lead screw sets my only ones the are 800mm and my new ones that are 1000mm my machine is setup for 1000mm so the 800s are obsolete. But I just noticed the thread pitch is different on the 1000 and the anti backlash blocks will not work on the 1000mm leads. I looked it up and the manufacturer stated 2mm thread pitch the anti backlash blocks fit on the old 800mm leads and I look them up manufacturers state it’s a 2mm thread pitch. I’ve included a pic of the 2 different leads. Mine is the top one the bottom is the old 800mm could someone please tell me what the top one (currently used) is so I can find the correct blocks please.
    Thanks in advance
    Jerry.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Don't mix and match :)
    Use all OpenBuilds components.

Ours are TR8*2s. 4starts with 2mm helix = 8mm pitch.

3. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

I didn’t mix and match in the pic the lead screw on top are the ones installed the lead screw on the bottom I was just hold to compare I’m looking for the thread pitch of the top lead screw in the pick or how to find out what it is

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

I am referring to this attempt to mix them.

Ours have always been the same thread, so whatever doesn't fit comes from a different vendor.

Count starts (on the end of the screw). Rotate nut one rotation and measure how far it moved.

Ours move 8mm and has 4 starts.

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Our’s are TR8*8s.

But back to the OP’s question. Pitch is the distance between threads. Lead is the distance traveled per turn of the screw. Lead is what matters. Pitch is the same for nearly all 8mm lead screws while lead can be entirely different. As Peter notes, it comes down to the number of starts, i.e. the number of actual spirals running around the rod. Look at the end of the rod and you can readily see the number of starts. Numbers of starts times the pitch equals the amount of lead.

Note also on the mix and match issue, don’t mix and match OpenBuilds TR8*8 with other’s TR8*8 either. There is a slight difference in how they are rolled.

edit: sorry for the reply that restates the two previous posts. Typing on a phone takes me forever.

6. jltcet

jltcet Well-Known
    Builder

At best guess the 800mm have 4 starts the 1000 has 1 it seams like to me 2 at best. But most likely 1. I learn something new every day here