Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Feeds and Speeds

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Rink, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Rink

Rink Well-Known
    Builder

Good afternoon.
    I had some conversation on another forum about feeds/speeds and got great feedback from experts. One piece was that I should be running my router at slower RPM and my feed rate at higher IPM to produce the correct chip load, BUT I should be sure my machine was stout enough to handle the faster IPM. So my question is how do I know if the machine is stout enough? Is there a spec or is it just a matter of trial and error for whatever material/bit I'm using?

For example, solid walnut with a 1/4 inch two-flute carbide end mill. Amana's recommended chip load is 0.0031" with 18,000 RPM and 110 IPM at 1/4 inch depth. (I never run that depth with a 1/4" end mill, but anyway...) Does that RPM/IPM sound reasonable and would the LEAD 1010 or LEAD 1515 run that?

Am I asking the question correctly?

Thx, rink.

2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Well, the math is correct but Amana may be basing that on an industrial machine?
    You don't want your machine laboring, so I would maintain the chip/rpm/FR calculation but try a 1/8th depth of cut first and see how that performs - you can always up the DOC if it can take it.
    Dropping the RPM and upping the IPM as someone suggested, will result in a higher chip load. For example, at 12,000 rpm and 150 inches/min, would double the chip load.