Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Duet/workbee One Y axis motor not responding

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by ben darby, Jun 19, 2022.

1. ben darby

ben darby New
    Builder

I have a Workbee z+1 with duet3d wifi using DWC. At first one of the Y axis motors was jerking and lagging behind the other, now it is not responding at all.

I've fiddled with the coupler etc and tested the rolling mechanics, tested both the motor and the cable and they all seem fine. Wiring to board is also correct so I've kind of run out of ideas. Is there anything I should be looking for in sys/config or elsewhere that might be instructing that stepper motor specifically? Pins look fine but also wondering whether board input is faulty?

Any help much is much appreciated.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Wiring problems are the commonest cause of the symptoms you describe. To check, disconnect the motor from the leadscrew and connect it to the X stepper lead (ALWAYS turn power off before changing any wiring, and sorry, that does mean taking the X stepper lead out of the drag chain). If the motor turns when you jog X try the lead from the Y stepper (disconnect both Y steppers from the leadscrews) on the X motor (also disconnected from the leadscrew).
    Let us know what happens.
    If you are using the latest (RRF3 based) firmware from Ooznest you have several config files - it would be a good idea to get copies of them saved so we can check them if the above advice doesn't help.
    Alex.

3. ben darby

ben darby New
    Builder

thanks Alex, I test the motor and the wire on another axis as you suggested and both seem to be working fine. I do have the latest RRF3, where would you suggest I start to look in the config?

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Your config-axes.g file should say;

; Axes configuration executed by config.g

M584 X0 Y1 Z2 U3 ; Apply drive mapping to axes
    M584 P3
    M906 X2400 Y2400 Z2400 U2400 I100 ; Set motor currents (mA)
    M92 X400 Y400 Z400 U400 ; Set steps per mm
    M350 X16 Y16 Z16 U16 I1 ; Configure microstepping
    M203 X2500 Y2500 Z2500 U2500 ; Set maximum speeds (mm/min)
    M201 X150 Y150 Z150 U150 ; Set accelerations (mm/s^2)
    M566 X500 Y500 Z500 U500 ; Set maximum instantaneous speed changes (mm/min)
    M669 K0 X1:0:0:0 Y0:1:0:1 Z0:0:1:0

I think a config issue is unlikely though - if Ooznest are still using the standard Molex KK connectors (the sort where a spring connector contacts only one side of the header pin on the Duet board) they are notoriously unreliable. If you put everything back as it should be (Power OFF and take care of the locking tabs on the connectors - they can be pretty fragile) see if everything works - leave the motors disconnected from the leadscrews to eliminate any mechanical problems.
    Alex.

5. ben darby

ben darby New
    Builder

Thanks Alex, the section below is what's currently in the config.g.... I'm yet to get to the stage of configuring as I've been stuck with this motor issue. No idea what any of this means right now!
    They are Molex KK connectors as you say but every pin seems to be inserted. I've taken both motors off y axis and continue to get one turning without the other, swapping the wire I also get movement on one so pretty sure it's not a motor or mechanical issue.

M569 P0 S1 ; physical drive 0 goes forwards
    M569 P1 S1 ; physical drive 1 goes forwards
    M569 P2 S1 ; physical drive 2 goes forwards
    M569 P3 S1 ; physical drive 3 goes forwards
    M584 X0 Y1 Z2 E3 ; set drive mapping
    M350 X16 Y16 Z16 E16 I1 ; configure microstepping with interpolation
    M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z400.00 E420.00 ; set steps per mm
    M566 X900.00 Y900.00 Z60.00 E120.00 ; set maximum instantaneous speed changes (mm/min)
    M203 X6000.00 Y6000.00 Z300.00 E1200.00 ; set maximum speeds (mm/min)
    M201 X500.00 Y500.00 Z20.00 E250.00 ; set accelerations (mm/s^2)
    M906 X800 Y800 Z800 E800 I30 ; set motor currents (mA) and motor idle factor in per cent
    M84 S30 ; Set idle timeout

6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Something has gone wrong with your firmware set up - that is a configuration file for a 3d printer!
    Where did you get the machine from, if Ooznest did you follow their set up guides?
    Alex.

7. ben darby

ben darby New
    Builder

I think I may have made a mistake when switching from the Ooznest assembly to Duet3d set up, and going further with the latter instructions. I'm going to go back and re-follow the ooznest.

8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Personally I prefer Ooznest's V1.0.7 firmware (I think you have to install that before the latest Rep-Rap V3.3 based firmware) - some people have problems with the latest version (possibly because it's a bit more complex to set up)
    Alex.

9. ben darby

ben darby New
    Builder

I've uploaded the Workbee firmware via DWC but still seeing the same code as above in the config.g. Sorry, still learning as I go along here, but am I right in thinking that the workbee firmware includes the rep-rap? I was going to start with the SD card clean to start set up all over again but I couldn't access DWC without it.

10. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Which version of the Ooznest firmware did you upload? I'm not going to bother with the very latest version until I'm sure all the bugs have been dealt with, but V1.0.7 comes with everything you need.
    Alex.

11. ben darby

ben darby New
    Builder

I uploaded the V1.0.7 firmware on DWC... I just wonder whether I should have removed anything else I had stored there not assuming it just over-rides the config.g

12. ben darby

ben darby New
    Builder

so this is what i tried, DWC was not working so i removed the config files via SD card www folder and added the Workbee files, when i did this on DWC is said missing files from www folder. I put the workbee files in the WWW folder as i was unable to install from DWC. When this didnt work i left the workbee files and then i added the install files for DWC 3.0 also to the www folder and then i could access DWC again. Now im worried i have the wrong software/config or that its over writing the workbee as the config looks the same as before i added the Workbee config files.

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You may also want to consider contacting the vendor you purchased from, they will likely be able to provide you with the correct firmware, config file etc to use straight away - taking the guesswork out of it all :)

14. ben darby

ben darby New
    Builder

Embarrassed to say this was a simple mistake of not following instructions properly... lesson learned! Really appreciate the help and guidance Alex - certainly learnt a lot of the last few days and plenty more to come for sure.

Alex Chambers likes this.