Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Does my BlackBox believe my custom machine is a CNC machine?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by ReneX, Nov 24, 2023.

1. ReneX

ReneX New
    Builder

Hello,

I recently built a custom machine, the machine is not a CNC, Laser, 3D printer or anything like that, its just a custom machine that does something totally unrelated, however, what my custom machine has in common with something like a CNC machine is that it moves in a X, Y and Z directions. Because of that similarity, I find the OpenBuilds BlackBox to be very useful for controlling my machine.

Having said that, If I home my machine (on limit switches click) and then execute the “?” GRBL command, the machine coordinates display negative. I believe that the reason for this is because the BlackBox thinks my machine is a CNC machine.

I guess that’s fine, however, ideally, I would prefer that the machine coordinates would display all zeros on the home position (on limit switches click) but I can’t figure out how to do that. Maybe if the BlackBox though my machine was a 3D printer it would consider the home position (on limit switches click) coordinates to be all zeros?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It will always be negative Frequently Asked Questions

Use Work Coordinates instead to make sense of where you are. One doesn't "work" in Machine Coordinates.