Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Cube 3 / Pro hacks

Discussion in '3D printers' started by eychei, Jan 16, 2017.

1. dbechth

dbechth New
    Builder

I've been following this thread closely and it looks like you guys have done some great work! I happen to have one of the ekocycle models of the cube. Does anyone know if the work that has been done for the Cube3 will transfer over to the ekocycle? I notice that when I try to patch the ekocycle's firmware I get a message that the version is unsupported, is this a safety check because its untested or is there a known limitation. I'm happy to do some leg work on my end but am in need of a little guidance, any help is appreciated!

2. Kiza

Kiza New
    Builder

Patch is of course printer and firmware version-specific. You cannot patch Ekocycle's firmware with it. In fact, I don't know, what's the hardware behind.

3. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

Cube3 and Ekocycle are the same machine, but probably some sort of specific check is there to prevent mix of firmwares between machines....

4. dbechth

dbechth New
    Builder

Could you provide any hints on the steps you took to find the code that deals with the spool count?

5. Razor1000

Razor1000 New
    Builder

I got tired of having to search for the same part numbers over and over, so I put together a BOM for the Cube3. It's far from complete, but it's a start. (If you have any corrections or additions, post them in the comments of the blog post.)

One Million Blinking Lights: Cube3 BOM

Kiza likes this.
  6. Tom Dirriwachter

Tom Dirriwachter Well-Known
    Builder

That is likely the second binary file by managing machine type and activation. Probably keyed into a hardware device unique ID. If you can wholesale replace without damaging the S/N, it shouldn't know the difference.

And if nothing else, get a cube 3 and you'll have lots of spare parts.

7. Bleky

Bleky New
    Builder

Does anyone know what would be the procedure to get the new Cube print app to work with V1.09B firmware or V1.10A?The old version of software does seem to support them but its buggy...

8. Tom Dirriwachter

Builder

You could try renaming the .ar file to the 1.14B name. Otherwise you have to downgrade your UI software... 3.something instead of 4.03. 4.03 requires (and checks) for 1.14B.

9. Razor1000

Razor1000 New
    Builder

It's my guess that the firmware version isn't reported by the firmware itself. There's a file on the sd card called "magellan_software.xml" that contains the firmware version string. And there's another xml file on the 3DSystems server called "magellan"-something that I think is the file that the software checks to see if there's an update.

That said, I flashed the v1.10 hex file directly to the MCU via ICSP, just to see what would go wrong (nothing did; it worked fine). The bootup screen said v1.10 and not v1.14B, so the firmware definitely does know what version it is.

10. Tom Dirriwachter

Builder

4.03 is what forces the upgrade.

11. Dan Kantrowitz

Builder

Hi, I've been lurking on this thread for a while and this is my situation. I have one abs cartridge in the left side of my printer and nothing in the right. I have hacked the printer with v1.0. I have ordered abs filament to use as bulk from hatchbox. I was wondering if PLA could also be used in this cartridge. The filament level is locked at 43% if that is important and both PLA and ABS have been used on the printer. I do not have access to a PLA cartridge at the moment, only the ABS one. Is there any way I could use PLA. Thanks again and I appreciate all of the work you guys have put into this software hack.

12. eychei

eychei Well-Known
    Builder

13. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

To add to the TO-DO:

- Use of Microchip's Embeded Web Server to allow sending .cube3 files thru WiFi ????

14. Kiza

Kiza New
    Builder

Planning to look into this option, probably without the embedded web server.

bolsoncerrado likes this.
  15. fred_dot_u

Builder

It's possible that your firmware update didn't work, as my printer had only a 2% cartridge and printed until it ran out of filament but the chip still reads 2%. Do you recall the messages you saw when you performed the patch on the firmware file? After you performed the patch, there would be a file named Cube V1.14B.ar and another file created as a backup, which is the original firmware file. You do have to have the original firmware file in the computer in order to perform the patch and it has to be named Cube V1.14B.ar in order for the patching program to create the new modified firmware file for you to copy to the flash drive.

16. hcklex

hcklex New
    Builder

yes i copyed the 1.14b.ar non backup one to usb and updated it. it downloaded it and then restarted the printer. ill try it one more time and see if it works. thanks

17. fred_dot_u

Builder

I had to perform the firmware update three times on my printer, but the attempts generated an error on the display, so that was obvious. I think the machine didn't like my 32 gb flash drive. A 4gb drive worked fine. At the very least, start with a clean original .ar file, then make the patch and watch for any error messages there.

18. hcklex

hcklex New
    Builder

i didnt get any error messages at all. i have two printers ill try fresh on the other couple of times.im using the usb stick the printer comes with. Running test print now its at 51 percent see if it goes down?

#198 hcklex, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  19. Tom Dirriwachter

Builder

A quick way to check firmware is to install a 100% cartridge and see if it errors.
    If not, print the test print and it should bring it down to 99%.
    If this is the case (if you can print the test print) your firmware is -not- updated.

20. hcklex

hcklex New
    Builder

thanks guys i got it work. my issue was my wifi was connected to the web as soon as i blocked the connection to the web and uploaded the new firmware works perfectly. where do i donate to the makers?

21. Tom Dirriwachter

Builder

H. Page one has the donation link.

22. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

I haven't blocked any web nor this is mentioned anywhere in the hack/patch? What's the deal? My issue is quite different now. No matter which filament side I choose, it always try to print using the left one :(

23. hcklex

hcklex New
    Builder

maybe its just my printers that do that ive been messing with firmware my self might have something to do with it. and do you select the right side in the software to print?

24. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

Yeah cubify detects the filament fine but no matter if I paint the piece with the right one, tries to use the left one.

25. hcklex

hcklex New
    Builder

im gonna try it on mine. ive only used the left side so far

26. hcklex

hcklex New
    Builder

Just printed using the right side works perfectly fine.

bolsoncerrado likes this.
  27. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

Will refresh original and patched one after the other and we'll see.... Thanks!

28. bolsoncerrado

bolsoncerrado Well-Known
    Builder

Oh btw hackles, are you on Mac or Windows? Do you upload the files using WiFi or USB?

29. hcklex

hcklex New
    Builder

ive used both mac and windows. but i used windows to patch the firmware. i upload using usb only never tried wifi. i think wifi is when it connects to 3ds server and looked for there newest firmware.

30. hcklex

hcklex New
    Builder

make sure when selecting colors you make sure the part thats on you screen is the color you want to print. for example you want your part to be green and green filament is on the right make sure the part or object is also green if its another color its gonna be the filament on the left.