Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

C-Beam Linear Activator

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Joseph Casalino, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Joseph Casalino

Builder

Hi,
    I have a C-Beam Tension XL Linear Actuator, that I built using the instructions that have the linear bearing and nut on the outside of the plate and the lead screw attached to the flexible coupling. What happened is that the limit switch did not work and the gantry hit the end of the unit and pulled the lead screw out of the flexible coupling. This caused me to re calibrate the whole unit. I have noticed that there are instructions to put the lead screw nut on the inside of the plate on both end. Can this method be used on this kit also?
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Not in a satisfactory manner. The problem with long lead screws is whipping of the screw, where the center bows out in a wide arc as the screw spins. The purpose of clamping the screw on the outside of the end plates is to limit the amount of the bow in the screw. With the nuts on the inside, whipping may get out of hand.

3. Joseph Casalino

Builder

Thanks Rick,
    I will have to make sure that the set screw, on the flex coupling end, is firmly seated in the root of the lead screw thread, before I tighten the clamp. That will anchor the lead screw on that end. I also will check out why the limit switch did not work. I have also thought of putting another limit switch on the other end of the lead screw. As for whipping, I have two gantries running on that screw about 24" apart. They carry the ends of the part I am drilling evenly spaced holes in.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Joe