Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Blackbox X32 relays

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Mark276, Dec 19, 2023.

1. Mark276

Mark276 New
    Builder

I would like to use the blackbox relay to control a switch contact, is that possible? If so what would the gcode commands be to turn it on and off? I need normally open and closed when on.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Relay 1 = tool enable (M3/4 = on, M5 = off)
    Relay 2 = tool direction (M3 vs M4 switches between NC and NO to switch the Fwd/Rev on a VFD)

What exactly then we can advise better

3. Mark276

Mark276 New
    Builder

I have a low voltage switch that turns the stitch control on my machine on and off as soon as it is turned on it starts stitching. Right now I have to turn it on then start the gcode file one then turn it off when it gets to the end and pauses. There’s to much delay between turning the switch on and starting would like to use the relay in the black box to control the switch and make it easier to operate. It’s a 2 wire switch that is open when off and closed when on so I’m sure the the relay can be used just needed commands to do it this is my first project like this. I looked thru the docs but when it showed using a relay it didn’t give the commands that I could find.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Then RELAY1 will do, its the TOOL ENABLE by default, and what you are doing, is enabling the tool.

So M3 starts the stitching, M5 stops it. Standard GCODE for TOOL ON / TOOL OFF - and also available in the TOOL ON / TOOL OFF menus in CONTROL - learning new commands is guided by the GUI, we try to always show the command that will be sent (and where impractical you can still see the commands sent in the log) - that way you can learn what we do, when we do it for you - so you know what to do if you want to do it on your own.

The next important question though is electrical ratings! That onboard relay is max 3A 48VDC - not suitable for switching Mains

5. Mark276

Mark276 New
    Builder

The stitch regulator runs on six volts less than an amp the wire to the switch is very small I’m sure it is the low voltage but I will check it. Thank You for all your help!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

Should be fine on Relay1 then - good luck!

7. Peter Van Der Walt

PS: If you find even with the Relay doing the switching, that machine still takes a second or two to respond you can add a G4Pxxx where xxx = seconds command after the M3 to "dwell" (Essentially wait):
    G-Codes

So like

M3 S1000 ;(Turn on the tool) (S-word not strictly needed for this use case, but adding for best practice)
    G4 P2; Wait in place for 2 seconds
    G1 X.... ; Continue moving