Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

3d printer question

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by bderijke1156, Nov 8, 2022.

1. bderijke1156

Builder

Hello i was wondering if it will be safe to 3d print in my bedroom. I will be getting an ender 3 v2 and only printing PLA. It will be sitting next to a window if I need to open it. Is it safe to print in my room like this or is it unsafe and this could be putting me at risk for health problems.
    Thanks

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

PLA is relatively safe to print with as far as air quality, get a room size air purifier if you are concerned.
    Some PLA's (like PLA+) have additives which add to toughness and can make it less friendly.
    Cheers
    Gary

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Unless you are a heavy sleeper, the noise causing interrupted sleep will probably me the most unhealthy part.

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Make sure the drivers are SilentStepSticks or similar, and add a little ducting to the window with a PC fan to help vent out fumes. Or build an enclosure, which would help with layer consistency anyway even if you're not planning on printing ABS. I have an enclosure around my Ender 3 and I see a difference even in PLA+.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

6. Gary Caruso

My Ender 2 with creality silent stepper board is very quiet. Cooling fans are louder than the motors by far.

7. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

Hmmm...that's interesting. I had an enclosure when I printed ABS eons ago but now I print mostly PLA+ and I didn't think it will be a factor anymore. I'll have to look into it.

LOL, mine too, and I have two of them running all the time when printing and sometimes a 3rd one too.

8. Gary Caruso

I don't know why I said Ender 2.. I have a 3 with Swiss direct drive, cr touch.. anyway super quiet, I printed fan shrouds for the psu and electronics compartment and that helps with noise as well.